Newsgroups: sfnet.keskustelu.rajatieteet
Subject: Mind phantoms
From: magi AT iki PISTE fi (Marko Grönroos)
Date: 11 Jul 2000 19:37:57 +0300

Kts. http://www.newscientist.com/news/news_224635.html

Mind phantoms

THERE'S nothing supernatural about ghosts, doppelgängers and
out-of-body experiences, says a Swiss neuroscientist. They are simply
phantom sensations like a phantom limb, he says, but spread to the
whole body.

People experience phantom limbs--the sense that an amputated limb is
still present--when the part of the brain that normally senses the
limb loses those signals (New Scientist, 17 June, p 27). Peter Brugger
of the University Hospital in Zurich says that doppelgängers, in which
people are aware of phantom "doubles" of themselves, have a similar
origin.

Some people actually see their double, often as a mirror image. This
may be the result of damage to visual areas of the brain that affect
the way we sense our body, says Brugger. Others merely feel the
presence of a double without actually seeing one. He believes that
these doubles are generated when the parietal lobes, the regions
responsible for the distinction between body and surrounding space,
are damaged.

Out-of-body experiences, where a person "sees" their body from the
outside, may be caused by temporary overactivity of certain brain
regions. "Excitability of the temporal lobes seems to be a plausible
explanation," says Brugger. These regions are connected to the
parietal lobes and are sensitive to visual signals, low levels of
oxygen and emotional arousal.

Brugger believes the brain could account for other paranormal
experiences: "Ghosts are probably nothing more but also nothing less
than phantoms of the body."

Helen Phillips

From New Scientist magazine, 08 July 2000.

--
-- Marko Grönroos, magi AT iki PISTE fi (http://www.iki.fi/magi/)
-- Paradoxes are the source of truth and the end of wisdom

Newsgroups: sfnet.keskustelu.rajatieteet
Subject: Re: Mind phantoms
From: magi AT iki PISTE fi (Marko Grönroos)
Date: 01 Aug 2000 16:57:30 +0300

Sami Laitinen <slaitine AT muikku PISTE jmp PISTE fi> writes:
> NASAlla mielenkiintoinen havainto, joka tehtiin muutama kuukausi sitten.
> He paikallistivat jonkin sortin kemiallisen aineen, josta ei ennen oltu
> saatu todisteita, mutta jonka olemassa oloa aina arvailtiin. Aineella on
> jokin vaikutus planeettojen muodostumiseen..

Planeettaliima?

Olen kyllä kuullut, että sokeria ja viinaa on havaittu avaruudesta,
mutta nyt siis myös erikeepperiä?

--
-- Marko Grönroos, magi AT iki PISTE fi (http://www.iki.fi/magi/)
-- Paradoxes are the source of truth and the end of wisdom

Edellinen säie: Vaikeita kysymyksiä
Seuraava säie: Uskookohan Juhann...
[Muut säikeet] [Muut uutisryhmät]