From: magi AT iki PISTE fi (Marko Grönroos)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Subject: Re: Jonathan Wells...the new Behe?
Date: 1 Nov 2000 17:44:45 -0500

Charles Wagner <cewagner AT spec PISTE net> writes:
> Apparently, you haven't read my opinions about peer review. It sucks.

Can you suggest a better alternative for pruning scientific
publications? Who would choose what to publish? You? The editors
don't have time to read everything, nor are they qualified in the
field of all papers. Or should they publish everything? For example
Nature publishes only something like 2% of received papers. Even that
makes one nice thick magazine every week. Who would like to buy a
magazine that is half-full of total crap?

> It's nothing more than a form of censorship to keep unpleasant
> observations out of the journals. No journal would publish an
> article by Jonathan Wells or me, for that matter.

Are you a scientist with an academic training? Are you qualified to do
research or do you just think you are? Do you write clearly and
logically or do you just think you do? Are you affiliated with a
university or other reputable science institute?

That's of course not a prerequisite (I've written published papers and
I'm not even MSc), but it would mean that you have at least some sort
of training to do scientific work.

I'm quite confident that with 99.99% probability the reviewers have
never heard about you nor Wells, unless you're trying to publish about
evolution. In that case, the chance might even be as low as 99%, with
Wells.

Papers are generally evaluated according to their contents, not so
much according to their author, although well-known authors probably
get their papers through more easily. Some high-visibility magazines
(such as Nature or Science) probably consider the backgrounds of the
authors more carefully, just to try to make sure that the article is
not a fraud or anything like that.

--
-- Marko Grönroos, magi AT iki PISTE fi (http://www.iki.fi/magi/)
-- Paradoxes are the source of truth and the end of wisdom

From: magi AT iki PISTE fi (Marko Grönroos)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Date: 3 Nov 2000 17:01:41 -0500

Charles Wagner <cewagner AT spec PISTE net> writes:
> Yes, and let the scientific community decide on the validity of your
> claim. Let's say that a few years back, someone claimed that dinosaurs
> had feathers and had pictures to prove it.

Could you please give us a demonstration of your skills in scientific
writing?

The problem with some articles may not be just the claim and the
observations, but also how they are presented. If someone writes an
article "Dinosaurs Had Feathers", simply shows some pictures, and then
concludes: "dinos had feathers", do you think that would be good style
of writing? Pictures do not tell everything. They would have to be
accompanied by good description about their context, lots of other
data, and good reasons WHY the picture really is about a dino.

So, even if the idea is ok, and the observations are relevant, a paper
may fail in giving the theoretical grounds for the observations and
conclusions.

Show us a paper that was rejected, with its rejection letter, and we
might give comments. Also remember that there doesn't really have to
be anything wrong in the article - it might just not be relevant to
the magazine, or not as interesting as other submitted
articles. Reviewers often give relative points, you see.

One conference had following requirements for the reviewer:

            1. REVIEWER'S STATEMENT:

            I have read this paper. I acknowledge that any new intellectual
            content of this paper is confidential and will not disclose or use
            it until such time as it is published by the submitting author(s)
            otherwise becomes publicly known. This review is my own opinion;
            I have written it; and I have not discussed my review of this
            paper with any other peer reviewer for this conference.

            I am not at the same institution as any of the authors.

            I am not reviewing more than one paper for this conference by this
            author.

            I do not have an especially close relationship (or an antagonistic
            relationship) with the author(s).

            I am not re-reviewing this work (i.e., I have not, within the past
            year, reviewed substantially the same work by the same author). I
            feel that I am qualified to review this paper.

I've received following kinds of negative comments from reviewers:

            3. SIGNIFICANCE OF THE PROBLEM:
            ... are a fundamental technology within ..., but the questions of
            how they can be evolved has been well-worked, and this paper does
            not extend prior knowledge significantly.

            9. SUGGESTIONS TO AUTHOR FOR IMPROVING
            Applying a variety of encoding methods to a common problem set, by
            a third party, is of some value. But there is little insight
            provided beyond the basic empirial results. So what?!

....etc...

These are of course vague, and I might not agree with them completely,
but I can't say that my self-judgement is necessarily better. Even if
they were wrong, I could still greatly improve the paper.

Thinking about that study now, over a year later, I know it was full
of crap and not even worth publishing. ;-)

--
-- Marko Grönroos, magi AT iki PISTE fi (http://www.iki.fi/magi/)
-- Paradoxes are the source of truth and the end of wisdom

Edellinen säie: Unintelligent Design of Intelligent Design
Seuraava säie: Alabama anti-miscegenation vote
[Muut säikeet] [Muut uutisryhmät]