From: magi AT iki PISTE fi (Marko Grönroos)
Newsgroups: talk.origins
Subject: Re: Evolving both limbs and control system from scratch
Date: 10 Oct 2000 08:16:12 -0400

Sverker Johansson <lsj AT hlk PISTE no PISTE hj PISTE spam PISTE se> writes:
> Here is now an article in a recent issue of Nature, where the
> authors demonstrate the simultaneous evolution of limbs and control
> network in robots, thus answering the creationist's second point.
> The simulation starts with the robotic equivalent of unicellular
> life, with neither limbs nor nervous system.
>
> HOD LIPSON AND JORDAN B. POLLACK
> "Automatic design and manufacture of robotic lifeforms"
> Nature 406, 974 - 978 (2000) © Macmillan Publishers Ltd.

And we should never forget Sims's (1994) evolving creatures. See his
site:
            http://www.genarts.com/karl/evolved-virtual-creatures.html
and other examples at:
            http://www.genarts.com/karl/

Movies of his amazingly life-like evolved creatures are in:
            http://www.biota.org/ksims/

You should take a closer look at the different bodyparts of the
creatures. Many of them definitely have a clear function, for example
the fins or rotors of the swimming creatures, or the various limbs of
the walking or jumping creatures.

--
-- Marko Grönroos, magi AT iki PISTE fi (http://www.iki.fi/magi/)
-- Paradoxes are the source of truth and the end of wisdom

Edellinen säie: Evidence for mutations being beneficial
Seuraava säie: Unintelligent Design of Intelligent Design
[Muut säikeet] [Muut uutisryhmät]