Newsgroups: sfnet.keskustelu.evoluutio
Subject: Demise of Intelligent Design
From: magi AT iki PISTE fi (Marko Grönroos)
Date: 11 Nov 2000 04:04:02 +0200

Forwardoimpa tämän tänne talk.originssin puolelta. Varsin erinomainen
artikkeli. HGH-kohtaan minulla oli hieman huomautettavaa, mutta jätän
toistamisen myöhemmäksi. Siinä kohdassa oli Griffinin artikkelissa
myös virhe: ei 100x, vaan 100% eli 2x suurempi binding efficiency.

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 20:50:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Jonathan Griffin <jdgreason AT yahoo PISTE com>

Hello all,

Let's put the intelligent design (ID) argument to rest now, by a simple
appeal to the evidence.

Some of you may have noticed that my posts are often relatively
lengthy. This one follows suit. I hope you will read it and give it the
credence it deserves. I like to be somewhat thorough so the reader can
see the whole picture as opposed to the piecemealing these forums tend
to propagate - not to imply I don't join in the piecemealing myself
(and I enjoy it, even if it is not an effective teaching tool). This
post deals with ID by first explaining what it is - at least as
proposed by Behe - and then by using facts to demonstrate the
shortsightedness, and folly, of using it as an argument against
evolution.

Let me inject here that I myself hope (believe?) that there was some
first Cause - God. I do not think that evolution destroys God. Indeed,
if there is a God, an understanding of evolution honestly sheds a
brilliant light on one part of His universe.

To Behe, intelligent design is found in the fact that cells contain
irreducibly complex systems. An irreducibly complex system is a system
"composed of several well matched, interacting parts that contribute to
the basic function, wherein the removal of any one of the parts causes
the system to effectively cease functioning."(1) In other words, if all
the parts are absolutely needed for a system to work, then the system
is irreducibly complex.

There is no dispute as to the fact that there are many biological
systems that are irreducibly complex. The problem is Behe claims
evolution could not produce such systems. According to Behe, "an
irreducibly complex system cannot be produced directly by numerous,
successive, slight modifications of a precursor system, because any
precursor to an irreducibly complex system that is missing a part is,
by definition, nonfunctional."(2) In other words, natural selection
cannot create an irreducibly complex system because all the parts have
to be there from the beginning, and natural selection works by choosing
the better of systems that are already working. Thus, for evolution to
create an irreducibly complex system one has to imagine a full system
arising in one multi-gigantic mutational swoop. Even biologists agree
this is statistically impossible.

Here is an example of what Behe considers the problem. Assume a channel
that allows a certain ion through the cell membrane is made of 15
working parts, the absence of any one making the channel ineffective.
Where did the channel come from? Of course, evolution is the answer. A
simple opening that allowed the ion through came about by mutation. It
was selected because it did something beneficial for the cell. It
didn't work great, but something is better than nothing. Over time new
mutations allowed for a part here or there to join the channel, making
it a little more effective - until eventually the channel reached the
point of complexity at which it now stands. Behe balks at this point.

Behe sees a problem. He argues that since the channel is irreducibly
complex (requires all the parts to work at all), there is no way it
could have evolved by natural selection. The current channel requires
all 15 parts. A partially assembled channel doesn't work at all. Hence,
according to Behe, the only way evolution could account for the channel
would be by assembling 15 very lucky mutations at once to produce the
instantly functioning channel. Even biologists must agree that the odds
of this are well beyond reasonable expectations. Behe sees irreducibly
complex structures everywhere in the cell. Indeed they are
everywhere....Darwin, we have a problem! The cell looks "designed."

There is no problem at all. Behe, smart as he is, doesn't appear to
understand how natural selection works. He comes across as somewhat
shortsighted.

I'll give a thought example first, and follow it up with several actual
examples that demonstrate the folly of the ID argument.

Assume a mutation allows a certain peptide (A) to bind to a chemical
toxin until both A and the toxin are removed to the bloodstream. Assume
A doesn't bind to the toxin real well - but it still confers some
benefit. Later, a mutation causes another peptide (B) to bind to a
spot on A, which makes A bind a little better to the toxin. The system
works better now. Next assume that A mutates in a way that makes it
bind better to B which enhances A's ability to bind the toxin even
more. However, this most recent mutation to A causes it to be unable to
bind the toxin at all without the presence of B. Now we have an
irreducibly complex system. A will not work at all without B. But, the
system didn't start off that way. (Note - Some of you may be wondering
how A could have come about in the first place, since it derived from a
mutation. Wouldn't its original job be lost? What good is this new job
if the cell loses its original function? The answer is the well
documented phenomena of gene duplication. Often genes get accidentally
duplicated in the process of cell division. This means the genome now
has extra copies of genes hanging around - indeed, we see this in all
eukaryotic species genomes. One copy of the gene is still able to
perform the original function while the duplicated copy is free to
undergo mutation without ill effect to the species. This allows for the
increase in genetic information over time.)

The point is thus; there is no guarantee that improvements will remain
merely improvements. Later changes build on previous ones, thus earlier
improvements may, in the future, become indispensable parts of the
system.

This simple example should suffice to demonstrate that natural
selection can, and often does, create irreducibly complex structures.
It does so at the molecular level and the tissue/organ level. Behe is
simply wrong when he says the parts of an irreducibly complex system
have to be in place from the beginning.

I've already discussed gene duplication above. I want to mention
exapation now. Exapation is the idea that evolution often works by
scavenging existing genes (and their products) and putting them
together for a new function. This is possible because of gene
duplication. Once a gene has been duplicated, the original gene can
produce the original protein and the duplicated gene is free to undergo
mutation without harm to the species. These extra genes often end up,
after several mutations, creating a slightly different (and new)
protein that gets paired up with others and selected by nature because
the combination happens to perform a beneficial task, or make an
already existing cellular machine or pathway more efficient.

We see simple evidence of this in the lens crystallins of eyes. The
genes for lactate dehydrogenase, aldehyde dehydrogenase, and enolase
have all been duplicated and the nature has modified them into lens
crystallins. The evidence is found not only in the remarkable
similarity of the base pairs of the genes and their crystallin
counterparts, but in the fact that the original proteins can be used as
lens crytallins in the same form as they carry out their normal
functions.(3) We also see the result of several gene duplications
throughout time in the various forms hemoglobin and myoglobins now
present in vertebrates. For instance the hemoglobin of lampreys, a
primitive jawless fish, consist of a single protein chain. In later
evolved vertebrates, like amphibians and reptiles, hemoglobin consist
of four protein chains - each protein being very similar. This four
chain molecule has a much greater oxygen binding capacity than the one
chain hemoglobin of lampreys. In mammals, there are even more genes for
hemoglobin, each differing only slightly and resulting in the gamma and
epsilon chains that characterize the different hemoglobins in human
fetuses and adults. So, we can see over time a succession of gene
duplications giving rise to the "irreducibly complex" system of
respiratory proteins in vertebrates.(4) Each system is irreducibly
complex in its own right, but evolution has modified them to create the
increased complexity over time.

Following are some real life examples of evolved irreducible complexity
- for you hardcore ID folks.

One of the examples of irreducible complexity Behe uses is the cilium -
a structure used most often for movement by small cells. Cilia are
composed of long chains of microtubules bundled together to make a
whiplike structure. I remember studying the cilium in my biochemistry
class in college. It is very complex. But to be honest, I don't
remember all the details. So, I'll borrow a lot here from Kenneth
Miller who is a cellular biologist.(5) Dr. Miller was actually amused
at Behe's suggestion that the complexity of the cilium is irreducible
(remember, even if it was irreducible it could have evolved). Since the
cilium is a complex structure and the 9+2 microtubule structure is
found everywhere in nature from algae to human sperm cells, it may
easily be assumed that this is the only pattern that worked - hence
irreducible complexity. But an appeal to any biologist with a knowledge
of cilia would have informed Behe that such is not the case. Sperm from
the caddis fly have a 9+7 microtubule arrangement. Some mosquito
species have a 9+9+1 arrangement. Eel sperm have a 9+0 arrangement
(lacking a central microtubule chain altogether). Finally, the
protozoan Diplauxis hatti has a 3+0 arrangement in which many of the
supposedly indispensable parts of the 9+2 structure are missing. Some
of these cilia work better than others. All the species make due. But
it is obvious the 9+2 arrangement isn't irreducibly complex. And the
existence of so many simpler versions of cilia demonstrates that Behe's
central thesis - that the cilium couldn't have "functional precursors"
- is flat wrong.

Here is another actual example that destroys the irreducible complexity
argument. In 1997, a group of scientists decided to watch the evolution
of human growth hormone (a protein) HGH in the lab.(6) HGH binds to
cells by means of precisely shaped receptor molecules on cell surfaces
that fit the shape of a portion of HGH - kind of like a key fits into a
lock. If you alter the shape of the HGH, or one of the receptor
molecules on the cell surface, the binding will not occur - like your
car key will not open your house door.

The researchers genetically engineered the genes to produce a receptor
that had a detrimental amino acid deletion. This changed the shape of
the receptor and the HGH no longer "fit," so the bonding could not
occur.

The scientists then randomly mutated the coding regions of the HGH
gene, generating millions of different mutant combinations. The
bacteria with the mutations that caused the new HGH to bind to the
modified receptor were selected. Now get this, the random mutations
generated a new version of HGH that bonded to the modified receptor one
   hundred times tighter than the original nonmutant version. This is now
an irreducibly complex system - but it evolved. The parts of the system
evolved together, right in the lab.

How about a bigger, more complex, system? Here's an example.

How about the "lac" genes in bacteria. Lactose is a double-sugar that
bacteria can use as food. But to do so the bacteria have to produce an
enzyme that can cut lactose up into its two constituent sugars, glucose
and galactose. The enzyme that does this is called galactosidase.
Bacteria are pretty smart, because they do not produce galactosidase
when there is no lactose on their environment. The galactosidase genes
automatically shut off when no lactose is present.

The bacteria are able to keep the galactosidase genes turned off by
means of a control gene that only allows the genes to be expressed in
the presence of lactose. A group of scientists deleted the gene for
galactosidase in a culture of bacteria.(7) They then grew the culture
in a medium of lactose. Of course, because they lacked the ability to
produce galactosidase, the altered bacteria and their offspring could
not use lactose for food - at first. But before long, mutant strains
appeared that could digest and use the lactose almost as well as the
original strains.

What happened? How could mutations randomly reproduce the galactosidase
gene so quickly? They didn't! The mutant bacteria did not make new
galactosidase . Nature simply tinkered with another gene. A new
mutation in an existing gene made its protein capable of breaking apart
the lactose sugar. But the bacteria didn't stop there. The researchers
looked at the control genes for the new gene that cleaved the lactose.
They had become modified too, and some of them responded directly to
lactose, switching the gene on and off as needed.

That is not all. The researchers continued to grow the mutant cultures
that could utilize lactose. But they grew some on lactulose, a
different sugar, and a new mutant strain appeared that could produce
allolactose, the same chemical that bacteria normally use to turn on
their "lac" genes. This is significant because now the "lac" genes
could switch on the gene for lac permease, which is an enzyme that
speeds the entry of lactose into the cell. (In the original strain of
bacteria the presence of galactosidase turned on this gene for
allolactose, but the mutated stains did not produce galactosidase so
the lac gene for lac permease could not be turned on - until this new
mutation.) When the lac permease gene now gets turned the increased
lactose flow into the bacterium causes the control genes for the new
lactose cleaving gene to activate. The system is now irreducibly
complex.

Look at the complexity of this system. Lactose triggers a sequence that
turns on the new lactose-cleaving gene. The enzymes produced by the
gene metabolize the lactose. The products of the lactose metabolism
then activate the gene for lac permease, which ensures a steady supply
of lactose entering the cell. A completely irreducibly complex system.
One part is no good without the other. Each dependent upon the other.
BUT THE SYSTEM EVOLVED IN A LAB!

A study of the extremely complex Krebs cycle (also important in terms
of energy for the cell) has shown that it was built by modifying
smaller existing chemical pathways. The Krebs cycle can be broken up
into smaller, intermediate cycles which by themselves function fine -
thus they could be favored by natural selection.(8)

Another example of how an irreducibly complex cellular machine evolved
by the bringing together of existing molecular machines is the
cytochrome c oxidase pump.(9) (Gosh I hate this - we had to draw a
diagram of this crap in my biochemistry class - the Krebs cycle too.
This is bringing back awful memories.) This pump is important in the
cell because it plays a key role in energy transformation. In humans
the pump consists of six proteins, each of which is necessary for the
functioning of the pump - a perfect example of irreducible complexity.
Researchers got to looking around and they found that two of the six
proteins are quite similar to a bacterial enzyme known as the
cytochrome bo3 complex. This complex works perfectly fine by itself -
albeit in a different context. Well what about the rest of the pump?
Same thing. Each and every protein of the pump has a closely related
protein complex in microorganisms. Thus, we see that the cytochrome c
oxidase pump, while appearing to be irreducibly complex, evolved
piecemeal in stages that were selected by nature and refined over time.

The evolution of other pathways have been worked out too. I refer you
to Kenneth Miller's "Finding Darwin's God" for several more examples
with cites. I think I have provided enough here to demonstrate that
Behe is incorrect about irreducible complexity. A biological system
simply doesn't have to originate in its present form. There isn't even
any room for compromise - Behe, and the ID crew, are simply WRONG.

Let me end by proposing that Behe's way of doing science is dangerous.
He sees a complex system and decides there is no way it could have
evolved. Thus, he concludes "design." He invokes a miracle when natural
laws suffice. Science cannot not admit defeat this way. That is not the
job of science. When a quandary exist, a good scientist looks for the
answer - the natural answer. He doesn't throw his hands in the air lay
it on the shoulders of the big One upstairs.

By so doing, science doesn't negate God. It simply seeks to explain
God's universe - down to the minutest detail - using God's laws. God
just doesn't appear to be a magician, as many creationists portray Him.

ENDNOTES

1. M. J. Behe, Darwin's Black Box, pg. 39. [Hereinafter: Behe, pg. *]

2. From a speech by Behe, "Evidence for Intelligent Design from
Biochemistry," at the Discovery Institute's God and Culture Conference,
Seattle, August 10, 1996.

3. http://www.the-scientist.com/yr1999/nov/palevitz_p8_991122.html (You
may have to subscribe to "The-Scientist" to obtain the information. But
subscribing is free.)

4. Article by Douglas Futuyma (professor and author) for the "Boston
review." Found at http://bostonreview.mit.edu/br22.1/futuyma.html

5. Kenneth Miller, Finding Darwin's God, pgs. 140-43. [Hereinafter:
Miller, pg. *]

6. Atwell et al., "Structural Plasticity in a Remodeled Protein-Protein
Interface," Science 278 (1997): 1125-1128. Summarized in Miller, pgs.
143-44.

7. This experiment, by B.G. Hall, appears in two scientific journals
- "Evolutionary Biology" and "Evolution of Genes and Proteins." My
summary is taken from Miller, pgs. 145-46.

8. E. Melendez-Hevia, Waddell, and Cascante, "The Puzzle of the Krebs
Citric Cycle: Assembling the Pieces of Chemically Feasible Reactions,
and Oppurtunism in the Design of Metabolic pathways during Evolution,"
Journal of Molecular Evolution 43 (1996): 293.

9. Musser and Chan, "Evolution of the Cytochrome C Oxidase Proton
Pump," Journal of Molecular Evolution 46 (1998): 508-20. Summarized in
Miller, pgs. 149-50.

=====

Jonathan Griffin

jdgreason AT yahoo PISTE com

--
-- Marko Grönroos, magi AT iki PISTE fi (http://www.iki.fi/magi/)
-- Paradoxes are the source of truth and the end of wisdom

Edellinen säie: Luomisopin opetus koulussa
Seuraava säie: hei apinan äpärät!
[Muut säikeet] [Muut uutisryhmät]