Switzerland - FLP Ferrovia Lugano - Monte Tresa, Lugano - Ponte Tresa railway

For a full scale picture, please click on the picture shown !

The Lugano - Ponte Tresa railway, Ferrovia Lugano - Ponte Tresa is a metre gauge small railway in the Swiss Italian speaking canton of Ticino. The line links the town of Lugano with Ponte Tresa, and it is 12,3 kilometres long. The line was opened in 1912. It used to be a part of a longer network, including the Lugano–Tesserete railway and the Lugano–Cadro–Dino railway, and the urban tramways of Lugano, none of which has survived to modern times. The line is electrified with 1200 V DC. The operator on the line is the company Ferrovie Luganesi, owned by the local authorities.


This is the typical trainset of the FLP Lugano - Ponte Tresa railway. These are Be 4/8 electric multiple units, with one motorised wagon and one steering cab coach. They were built in 1978 and they are similar with what many other Swiss narrow gauge train companies have used. However, a new Swiss law stipulates that every train, tram or similar should be accessible to even those who use a wheelchair or are otherwise unable to climb stairs. To cope with the new law, the operator company Ferrovie Luganesi ordered new low-floor middle coaches, which were taken in use since 2002. Since then the trainsets have been classed as Be 4/12.
Picture of an original FLP two-coach trainset 20.10.2002 from Lugano by Ilkka Siissalo.


A closer look at the same two wagon trainset Be 4/8 no.41 from 1878.
Picture 20.10.2002 from Lugano by Ilkka Siissalo.


A similar trainset, but now with the brand new low-floor middle coach and therefore classed as Be 4/12 no.21.
Picture 19.10.2002 from Ponte Tresa by Ilkka Siissalo.


The new low-foor middle coaches are made by the company Stadler. Similar new wagons have also been delivered to a number of other Swiss narrow gauge operators.
Picture 19.10.2002 from Ponte Tresa by Ilkka Siissalo.


This motor wagon no.3 was one of the original motor wagons taken in use when the Lugano - Ponte Tresa railway was opened in 1912. It was in daily use until 1978 until the present day trains arrived.
Picture from March 1978 by Flickr user "trams aux fils". Copied from Wikimedia Commons. The picture is copyrighted under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 license (CC-BY 2.0).
Back to main page.