This is a real rarity. Today it is merely a heavy snow plough registered as "VNx806", but it
used to be a three-phase electric locomotive. When the famous Simplon tunnel and railway line from Switzerland over
to Domodossola in Italy was built, the line was electrified with three phase current 1906 to 1930. Special locomotives were used
which had pantographs for two overhead catenary wires (the third phase was connected to the rails). This one used to be one
of these three phase locomotives, E.550 122, built sometime between 1908 and 1921 and now stripped of its motors, pantographs
and other mechnical parts needed for driving.
Behind it is seen a privately owned Henschel made small diesel locomotive which is now used for pushing this extraordinary snow plough.
Picture from Aosta 29.12.2001 by Ilkka Siissalo.