Use of this information in other projects
My goal is to provide this information to be used freely in other
projects. However, the image files provided by other people than
myself (Markku Savela) have a separate copyright and usage
- each image is owned by the original photographer, as indicated.
- each photographer has given the permission to use their images
within these pages (and on potential mirror sites for this structure
- for other uses, please ask from the image owner (each image has
contact information attached).
Guidelines for images
I prefer to store images in JPEG format. I can handle any common
format, but I need to convert the image into JPEG. If you give an
image in JPEG format, I will use the pixel data as is (I will not
modify it in any way). To each image I add a comment field starting
with the string "LABEL:", which is used by the HTML page building
Choosing image size, depends on many factors:
1000x700 (or some such) image may seem large now, but in few years, it
will seem to be small.
- how good image you want to have available on the web?
- I would prefer as large image as possible, assuming the image is
of good quality. For unfocused images, scale down until fuzziness is
- the default "cjpeg" (75%) quality setting seems to work quite
well. (Note, for the Photoshop the quality values are different).
- current file sizes for images have been in range 20-200Kb.
- for image size in pixels, a good default is in (400-800) x
(400-800). If sharpness and quality allows, you can go even higher,
even 1500 x 1500.